Private John Cushnie Collection

Gentleman's Diary & Letters Home - November 1918

Diary & Letters November 1918

Private John Cushnie wrote approximatly 91 letters home from 1916 to 1918, and a diary with 220 entries from 1918. These letters and diary entries, gratiously provided by Anne Hales and describe John's life in the CEF, from the telegram that he sent saying that he would be home for his first weekend of leave after enlisting, to the telegram that announced that he was back from Europe.

Diary November 1918

Friday, November 1
No entry

Saturday, November 2
No entry

Sunday, November 3
No entry

Monday, November 4
No entry

Tuesday, November 5
Went on the Windsor party. Saw all through the Castle. Had luncheon there – Princess Alice serving to the troops. Eton College in the afternoon. Coming back to London we went to a very good show – Eyes of Youth- at night. Had hard job to get home on account of crowed tubes & buses. Got home about 12 oclock. Pretty tired.

Wednesday, November 6
Discharged from hospital to 1st C.C.D. Whitley. No sick furlough.
Spent most of the day in London at the Beaver Hut. Arrived at the C.C.D. about 9 PM and found it very crowded. Slept in Orderly Room of Receiving Coy. Had plenty of bedboards but it sure was cruel sleeping on floor after soft hospital bed.

Thursday, November 7
No entry

Friday, November 8
No entry

Saturday, November 9
No entry

Sunday, November 10
No entry

Monday, November 11
Only a short parade in the morning and then we were dismissed to our huts. Heard great cheering about 11 oclock and knew that armistice was signed. Camp full of parades and bands.
Fellows went wild that night. Raided NACB canteens and wrecked Tintown.
Went to a concert in _____? At night.

Tuesday, November 5 to Monday, November 25
No entry

Tuesday, November 26
Were paid (I got L4) in the morning and after m.o’s inspection were taken over to W.O.R.D.
Had my board in the afternoon. Managed to get BI out on it.

Wednesday, November 27
Was put on QM fatigue in the morning but dodged it.
In afternoon were transferred to dispatch company. Heard that we would leave on Saturday’s Boat.
Went over to see Ira Campbell at night. He was just going on his sick furlough to Edinburgh.

Thursday, November 28
Dental parade in the morning but there was nothing to it.
Nothing doing in afternoon either.
Had a parade at 8 PM to sign our LPC’s which had come down from London by special messenger.

Friday, November 29
Parade at 9 AM but nothing doing for us.
Paraded again at 1.30 PM with kit bags etc as if we were leaving.
Were told that sailing was cancelled on Saturday & that we were not to go until Tuesday 3rd Dec.

Saturday, November 30
Was on Mess Orderly & was in Mess Room by 6.30 AM.
After dinner Robertson from Elora & I went down to Godalming. Was tired by the time we got there. Went to a Picture Show first and then did some shopping. Had a good supper at the Ottawa Café costing 3/8. Couldn’t get taxi or bus so had to walk home.

Letters November 1918

Date Description
Saturday, November 02, 1918 Being Marked out of the Hospital
Thursday, November 07, 1918 Letter to Mrs. Cushnie. Predicting the end of the war
Tuesday, November 12, 1918 "all over but the shouting"
Sunday, November 17, 1918 Back with the reserves
Monday, November 25, 1918 Rumours about going home